As LinkedIn continues to grow by adding new features, like Stories on LinkedIn, it has steadily grown its user base. While the LinkedIn audience still leans toward career-minded professionals, the industries, interests, and demographics represented on the platform have become much broader since launch.
Besides LinkedIn’s user growth, it also continues to expand advertising opportunities, which has helped make it one of the most important channels for B2B marketing.
Today, it has become quite clear that LinkedIn is not just for people in the role of running the company. With millions of corporate pages and individual memberships, there’s one discuss, post or professionally network for most people on this channel.
However, despite LinkedIn’s growth and advertising opportunities, many marketers or brands still worry that the platform is still too formal or corporate for their audience.
The truth is – LinkedIn is most likely one of your most underrated marketing channels.
If the growth of LinkedIn grabs your attention and you want to determine if its advertising audience and services are right for you, then it’s important to do some research before devote more time and resources to this network.
To help you get started on your LinkedIn research, here are some of the platform’s most popular audience, growth, and marketing tactics.
Statistics LinkedIn needs to know about by 2021
General LinkedIn Statistics
- In the first quarter of 2021, LinkedIn revenue increased 23% from the same period last year (LinkedIn)
- In 2020, LinkedIn generates $ 181 billion in revenue. (LinkedIn)
- LinkedIn has more than 740 million active users. (LinkedIn)
- In the third quarter of 2020, the amount of content shared on LinkedIn increased by 50%. (LinkedIn)
- Marketing Solutions is growing 40% YoY in Q4 2020. (LinkedIn)
- Nearly 40 million people searched for jobs on LinkedIn every week in Q4 2020 (LinkedIn)
- In 2020, LinkedIn was voted as the most trusted network. (Traders in the process)
- In the fourth quarter of 2020, experts viewed LinkedIn Learning more than 2 times more than the previous year. (LinkedIn)
- Live streams on LinkedIn have grown 158% since February 2020. (LinkedIn)
- 57% of global LinkedIn users are men. (DataReportal)
- While 44% of those between 25 and 30 and 37% of those aged 30 to 49 say they use LinkedIn. (Pew Research Center)
- 49% of internet users who make more than $ 75,000 annually use LinkedIn while only 26% of those in the $ 30,000 to $ 74,999 range use the platform. (Pew Research Center)
- 51% of internet users with a college degree or higher use LinkedIn. (Pew Research Center)
- Four out of five LinkedIn members make business decisions at their companies. (LinkedIn)
- 174 million US Workers have LinkedIn profiles. (LinkedIn)
- 30% of LinkedIn users live in urban areas. (Hootsuite)
Marketing and lead generation tactics
- LinkedIn is the most popular platform for B2B marketers, followed by Twitter. (Content Marketing Institute)
- As of January 2020, LinkedIn Ads reached 663.3 million users. (We are society)
- Data shows the most attractive LinkedIn posts published on Wednesdays 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. and noon, Thursday at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. and Friday at 9 am (Sprout Social)
- LinkedIn’s lead conversion rate is 3 times higher than that of other major advertising platforms, including Google Ads. (LinkedIn)
- About 15% of marketers are creating content for LinkedIn. (HubSpot)
- Just 10% of marketers say they’re investing in LinkedIn. (HubSpot)
- In a study of 5,000 businesses, HubSpot found that traffic from LinkedIn generated the highest lead conversion rate at 2.74%, almost three times or 277% higher than the whole. Twitter (0.69%) and Facebook (0.77%). (HubSpot)
LinkedIn user statistics
- 40 million people look for job opportunities on LinkedIn every week. (LinkedIn)
- Three people are hired every minute on LinkedIn. (LinkedIn)
- There are over 55 million companies listed on LinkedIn and there are 14 million jobs open on the platform. (LinkedIn)
- For companies active on LinkedIn, 30% of their engagement comes from their own employees. 14 times more likely they are sharing recruiter content on this platform than other types of content. (LinkedIn)
LinkedIn Advertising Statistics
- LinkedIn advertising accounts for more than a third of LinkedIn’s total revenue in the fourth quarter of 2020. (LinkedIn).
- Marketing Solutions increased by 50%. LinkedIn predicts the spike is due to advertisers choosing the platform as a trusted way to generate leads. (LinkedIn)
- Hootsuite and We Are Social report that 727 million people can be reached through LinkedIn advertising. (DataReportal)
- LinkedIn’s ad reach has grown 3.5% quarter-on-quarter in 2020. (DataReportal)
Master LinkedIn Marketing
Because LinkedIn has a slightly different audience from other major platforms like Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, you’ll want to understand if your consumers are interacting there before investing the time or resources in. a campaign or promotion. Remember to keep in mind the stats above, as well as the emerging studies of its platform and audience as you prepare your next social media strategy.
Editors’ note: This post was originally published May 2020 and has been updated for inclusion.