Karaivaz, who works for a private TV channel, was shot several times on Friday outside his home.
Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis has demanded a “prompt settlement” of the investigation into the crime journalist’s murder that has been condemned by top European Union officials, political parties and media coalitions.
Giorgos Karaivaz, who previously worked for private broadcaster Star and also runs the news blog bloko.gr, has shoot several times Witnesses said Friday as he left his car outside his home in the Alimos district of southern Athens after returning from work.
Police said Karaivaz, 52, was shot by two people on a motorcycle who fired multiple rounds. A police official said at least 12 shells were collected from the scene.
The Prime Minister’s office said Prime Minister Mitsotakis had summoned the police minister, Michalis Chrysochoidis, to a meeting on Saturday about the incident, the prime minister’s office said.
The murder was condemned by the European Commission and Commissioner of the European Council for human rights.
“Murdering a journalist is a despicable act,” European Commission head Ursula von der Leyen tweeted on Friday.
Karaivaz has worked for some of Greece’s leading newspapers and television channels over a career of 32 years.
“[He] is one of the most experienced crime reporters in the field… and highly regarded by peers, ”the ESIEA federation of Athens journalists said in a statement.
The Greek Federation of Police Officers said Karaivaz was interested in improving working conditions for law enforcement and “strongly criticized anyone” in their union’s way.
Attacking targeted media
While Greek media offices are frequently targeted in fire bomb attacks and vandalism, journalist killings are very rare.
Some journalists asked the police for protection after receiving the threat, but Karaivaz was not protected because he, according to local reports, did not ask for protection.
The shooting came at a time when Greek authorities received criticism for having too many police guarded for a controversial TV presenter.
In July of last year, tabloid editor Stefanos Chios survived after being shot in the neck and chest by a hooded man outside his home.
The case is still under investigation.
In 2010, radio manager, blogger and investigative journalist Socratis Giolias was shot down outside his home. The case has yet to be resolved.