In this era of free web design tools, it is easy for anyone to whip up a website without needing any prior knowledge of web design. While the page will be up and running, the issue comes in when clients click off of it due to the user experience they get on it. Your design might just be the reason why people do not spend a lot of time on your site.
In order for you to make an impact with your site, you need to get people to visit it. Once they get to the webpage, you need to ensure that they spend enough time in it and perform a call to action. The time spent on your website should be able to translate to actual sales. Without all these, all you will be doing is running a website that brings with it no returns.
The one thing that affects your website and its traffic is the web design. There are so many elements that go into web design, and all of them influence your potential client. Getting a great web development service will ensure that whoever visits your site will end up making sales. Web design greatly affects your online business, and here is how.
Your web design creates an impression
If you have ever surfed the net, then chances are there are a couple of sites you clicked off of even though they had information you were looking for. One of the things that might have caused this is the way the website looks. No one wants to click on a website that looks like it has not been updated since it was created in the late 90s.
If you had your website created in the earlier years, then you need to update it. There have been newer trends in the market that readers tend to love, and using them will make you gain readers. You do not have to do over your whole site, but here are a couple of things that you can add that will come in handy for you:
- Responsive design: what this means is coming up with a design that will ensure that the content changes based on the device they are accessing it on. Gone are the days when one could only surf through a computer. There are now more devices that are connected to the internet, and it would help if your site is compatible with all of them. All it takes is the rewriting of the code.
- Parallax scrolling: this is a creative way of layering up images that move at different speeds when one scrolls down a website. Mastering it will keep users intrigued, and they will spend more time on your site.
- Big, bold fonts: the one way you can ensure that your readers understand what your site is all about is by using the right fonts. While there is no specific font that one should use on a website, it is vital you ensure that all the letters are shaped out well and are clear. They will go a long way to ensure readers do not struggle with reading.
- Eye-catching ‘hero’ images: having a picture at the start of your article is a great way to get everyone interested. These pictures get the name hero because, more often than not, they will champion for more people to read on and see what your site is all about.
- Multimedia: other than images, it is now possible for you to add videos and audio to your site. Doing so helps ensure that readers and visitors to the site are kept engaged and do not get bored by long texts.
Another thing a great web design does is create an idea of professionalism. You can do this by creating an “About Us” page. The page should include the list of services you provide, your contact details, and, where possible, a picture of your staff. While these might seem like mundane things, they will go a long way in helping build people’s trust in your site. You can also include a couple of client reviews as they are known to really help other clients trust you even more.
A well-designed web page is able to give clarity to its users. What clarity means is, anyone who has access to the site will right away figure out what it is about and can easily access any of the services offered. The best way you can do this is by working on your navigation. No one wants to get to a site and see a whole list of menu options as they tend to look overcrowded. The navigation will go to great lengths to ensure that your homepage is not crowded. Here are the two common navigation styles.
- Breadcrumb: the name was inspired by the Hansel and Gretel spry. What happens is, you go to a new page anytime you click on a word on the home page. You can then go back to the homepage by pressing the back button or click on a different word.
- The drop-down menu: this is the more commonly used navigation style because of its ease of use. All you need to do is hover the cursor on a certain word, and the menu will drop down, then you choose which page you would like to go to.
Easy navigation ensures that anyone visiting your site does not stare and can get to whatever they want to without a hassle.
A good web design makes the site load faster
If there is one thing everyone finds annoying, it has to be the long loading time. No one wants to open your site and have to wait for minutes on end for the web page to load. Many people will give up and go to the next site. If you realize that your website takes too long to load, there are a couple of things you can do to speed it up. Tweaking the design will go a long way in reducing the loading time.
The first thing you can do is optimize the images on your site. You can still get great quality images in a smaller size that will roll up faster. The way this happens is to save your images in jpg format before you upload them. You can use tinypng.com to reduce your image size before uploading it. The size of the images you use contributes greatly to the loading time of your webpage. The fast loading speed can increase the organic traffic to your website.
The other thing you can do to help reduce loading time is to remove auto-play multimedia. If your site has media that starts playing as soon as it loads, it will take time for you to load up the homepage. Many people do not have that long to wait. Other than the loading time, no one wants to get on a page and be bombarded with audio that has been playing or videos they might not want to watch. It makes more sense if they can play it less. A good website design will ensure you can do that.
Web design makes you stand out
The right web design is what will make people stay in your business instead of going to your competitors. If you have a good design, it will be easy to navigate and has little to no errors. Many times you will have clients find what they need easily, and they can even save your link for late use. Such actions are what will propel your site to getting better rankings. No one wants to be on a site that looks like it was thrown together without care. Before one goes into the content of your site, one will first look at the design of your site. Having a good design will make them stay on for longer.
It will lead to better conversion rates
The one thing every business looks at is the conversion rate of a business. It makes no sense for your site to have traffic if they are not converting. The only way the clients will convert to buyers in a few minutes is if your site is organized. They will scroll till they finally make a purchase. Getting a professional to design the page will ensure that such details are taken care of, and you have nothing to worry about.
Running a website can seem like a chore. There are so many elements to think about and so many things that need to be done. As time goes by, the rules of engagement keep changing, and this can be confusing for you. If you find yourself in such a predicament, worry not; you are not alone. So many businesses struggle with the same thing,
The one thing you can do is seek the help of a professional web designer and a user experience specialist. You can hire a professional web designer near you at an affordable price. They will go through your site with you and help you figure out which elements need to be changed and what code should be rewritten. In doing so, you can rest easy knowing that your site will not only be up and running it will also lead to you gaining more sales in your business. In all, ensure you have these 5 conversion elements that can turn your web visitors into paying customers.