The state prosecutor released 16 of the detainees at the king’s request, but said the two main suspects would remain in custody.
State media reported that the Jordanian prosecutor released 16 people detained for “disrupting” at the request of King Abdullah II, nearly three weeks after an alleged conspiracy to “destabilize the land water “was expelled.
However, state prosecutor General Hazem al-Majali on Thursday said two other suspects – Bassem Awadallah, a former royal court chief and Sharif Hassan bin Zaid, a former Saudi special envoy – will still in custody.
According to Petra news agency, the couple was not released “of different roles, different types of indictments and different levels of agitation from those who were released,” al-Majali said, according to the news agency. Petra.
King Abdullah was quoted by the court as saying that he had called for the release of “brothers” who were “misled, lost, drawn after this temptation” so that they could be with their families as soon as possible. Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
State media said the king made the move after lobbying by several key figures across Jordan who asked him to show tolerance.
When news of the alleged plot was first released earlier this month, Abdullah’s half-brother Prince Hamzah was suspected of being involved. But authorities said he would not later appear in court as his case was settled in the royal family.
After declaring himself under house arrest on April 3, Hamzah made extensive use of social media and tradition to lash out at his situation.
He accused Jordan’s authorities of corruption and lack of attitude in a video message released by the BBC the same day.
But then, Abdullah said Hamzah had offered to support and loyalty to the monarchy and is currently “defended”.
Addressing the rare public rift in the royal family for the first time, on April 7, the king said the “coma” that had caused him “pain and anger” was over. The two brothers then appeared together in public.