© Reuters. PHOTO FILE: Tennis: Miami Open
(Reuters) – World number six player Bianca Andreescu has been removed from the Madrid Open after testing positive for COVID-19, the Canadian confirmed on social media on Sunday.
The 20-year-old said she tested negative twice before flying to Madrid for the tournament, scheduled to start on Friday, but was told on arrival that she gave a positive test result. count.
“I feel good, I am resting and continue to follow wellness procedures and safety instructions,” she said. “I look forward to returning to the field soon.”
This announcement marks another disappointment for Andreescu, who won her first Grand Slam title at the US Open in 2019 only after a meniscus tear in his left knee a month later.
She wasn’t able to return until February this year, losing the second round of the Australian Open, and earlier this month shed tears from leaving the Miami Open final against world number one Ash Barty. , after falling on the field and injuring her. foot.
Like many other sports regulators around the globe, the WTA said it would encourage players to receive the COVID-19 vaccine but will not require it to compete.
Fusion Media or anyone associated with Fusion Media will not be liable in any way for loss or damage resulting from dependence on information including data, quotes, charts and buy / sell signals contained in the this site. Please be fully informed about the risks and costs associated with trading the financial markets, which is one of the riskiest investments possible.