If you want a quiet getaway away from the partying crowds in Puerto Galera, head to the stunning Pandan Island. On this tropical island resort in Occidental Mindoro, you’ll definitely come to enjoy! It is the gateway to a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the Best diving destination in the worldThe Apo Reef. Here is our list of Things to do in Pandan Island!
Sablayan is the largest municipality in Occidental Mindoro and the Philippines. It is also known to have the largest criminal base in the country. In this place, they have a quiet retreat, free of television and pollution, only Mother Nature and its creatures. Take a vacation in this beautiful paradise!
Things to do in Pandan Island
One of the best things to do in Pandan Island is diving! There are a variety of diving locations across the island, from beginner indoor reef diving to expert Barracuda deep diving. If you don’t know how to dive, there is a diving shop where you can take a simple course. It will be a memorable experience that you should try!
Take a break from the world and relax on this quiet island. Without TV and slow internet, you will definitely reconnect yourself to nature. Swim in clear blue water and watch the stars at night. That would be a surreal experience!
3. Look for some birds
As Pandan Island doesn’t have a lot of tourists and is well maintained, there are plenty of bird species in the woods nearby. Discover some species of Emerald pigeons, scrub birds, sunbirds, parrots and more. You can even hear them chirping in the morning to wake you up!
Here are the costs you may incur during a trip to Pandan Island:
- There’s a baby shark named Bangka that takes you to Pandan Island
- The price is 200 PHP / person plus 50 PHP / person during the day
- At night, you can add another 50 PHP to your boat fee
- Regular activity is from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- The boat can accommodate 10 – 15 people
- Picnic – 250 PHP (If you stay, you won’t need to pay this)
- Environmental charges
- Since there is only one resort in Pandan Island, here are costs you may incur:
- Supplementary – 850 PHP for adults and 500 PHP for children 4 – 12 years old
- For 3 meals (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner) – 750 PHP / 500 for children 4 – 12 years old
- Buffet Meal (Lunch or Dinner) – 470/300 PHP for children 4 – 12 years old
- Picnic lunch – 260 PHP
- Snorkelling equipment – 200 PHP per day
- Exciting Diving – Starting at 1,300 PHP
- Intro Drive – Starting at 2,500 PHP
- Apo Reef Trip – Starts at 3,600 PHP for non-diver and 9,400 PHP for diver
How to Get to Pandan Island |
By plane from NAIA
- In Mindoro Occidental, there is an airport
- Book flights from NAIA to San Jose Airport
From San Jose Airport to Sablayan
- Arrive at the bus stop in San Jose (20 PHP for tricycles)
- Take a public bus or jeep to Sablayan (180 – 200 PHP)
- The tricycle ride takes you to “Punta” in front of Ludi’s Place
By bus from Manila (Direct)
- Take the Ceres or Partas bus from Cubao or Pasay to Sablayan (or San Jose)
- Fares from 900 – 1,000 PHP
- You will ride one ferry from Batangas to Mindoro
- Travel time from 8 – 10 hours
- If you’re near Batangas, you probably won’t need to go to Manila
- Going to Port Batangas in Sta. Clara and ride ferry Abra De Ilog, Occidental Mindoro
- Trips are every 9:00 am and 5:00 pm
- The usual fare is 260 PHP; They also offer discounts for students or children
- Travel time is about 2 hours 30 minutes
- From the port, you can take a bus to Sablayan which takes about 2.5 – 3 hours
Travel Guide Tips to Pandan Island
- You can enjoy a picnic or a day tour on the island from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
- There are no generators on Pandan Island; It is powered mainly by solar power, you may want to charge it first
- There may be a Wi-Fi connection on the island
- The restaurant serves Filipino and European dishes
- A Bar located in the heart of the island where you can meet some new companies and friends
Sample itinerary in Pandan Island
Day 1 in Pandan Island
8:00 am – Arrive at Pandan Island
9:00 AM – Snorkeling / Snorkeling / Relaxing
12:00 PM – Lunch / lunch
3:00 pm – Island tour / Bird watching
6:00 PM – Dinner / Night Swimming / Star-watching / Sleeping
Day 2 at Pandan Island
6:00 am – Breakfast / Early Swimming / Diving
10:00 AM – Wash your face / Get ready to go home
11:00 AM – Check-out / Trip to Mainland
12:00 PM – Return to Manila
Pandan Island will truly fascinate you by its wild beauty and rich marine life. I hope this Pandan Island tour guide will tell you what to do and how to get there. It’s a great place to learn a new skill, like dive. Good luck with your future adventure. Happy trip!
Are you on Pinterest? Pin these!
About the writer
Hey, I’m Lyza! I was a person who only imagined going to “someday” places but decided to follow my dream. My first overseas trip was in Japan, alone, last 2018, and has loved the journey ever since. I aim to visit 10 countries before turning 30 and 2 new locations in the Philippines each year. Aside from traveling, I enjoy organizing trips, taking photos, reading books and making friends. Track my adventure through Instagram.