Authorities in Hong Kong have warned that anyone calling for a blank opposing vote in the China-controlled election scheduled for December 19 will be in violation of the law, as officials weather Exposed plans to propose seats in the Election Commission to lose power, supporting the Chinese candidates in the last District Council elections.
“We must act by law to prevent any conduct that manipulates or obstructs the election,” chief executive Carrie Lam said at a news conference on Tuesday.
That includes “certain actions by some people, aimed at inciting people not to vote or doing something weird in the election, would be an insulting act,” she said. .
Earlier this year, police arrested 47 pro-democracy politicians and activists on charges of “subversion” under harsh national security laws, after they participated in the democratic primary elections in the season. Last summer aimed to win enough opposition seats on the Legislative Council (LegCo) to block government budgets and other proposals.
Lam and her officials say that about 200 pro-China candidates, lost the November 2019 District Council election – the election that brought a resounding victory for the pro-popular candidates. owner after months of protests – will be given seats to the pro-Beijing Election Commission, which was recently given the authority to expand to approve prospective election candidates and select 40 LegCo members according to these sweeping changes imposed by the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) on the city.
These changes mean that anyone closely aligned with the pro-democracy faction is unlikely to be allowed to take part in elections, introducing the city’s five million voters to a slew of approved candidates. preceded by a China-backed censorship committee working from comments submitted by the national security police.
Military demonstrations and exercises
The move comes as public facilities in Hong Kong prepare to mark National Security Law Education Day on Thursday, with city law enforcement promising a show. “extravagant” military exercises are based on those routinely conducted by the People’s Liberation Army (PLA)).
The Immigration Department said it wanted to use the screen to highlight the fact that Hong Kong “is an impregnable part of China”, saying it trained its officers in a new march style. since last year, government broadcaster RTHK reported.
Customs and correctional services officers are also learning how to make progress, the report said, while fire and rescue services have no plans to do so, the report said.
The moves are also underway to modify the school textbook to reinforce the CCP’s claim to the Taiwanese democratic island, which has never been a part of the People’s Republic of China.
News columnist Camoes Tam said recent changes to Hong Kong’s education system since the national security law came into effect on July 1, 2020 closely monitored the changes. introduced by the CCP across mainland China after it took power in 1949, and in Macau after social turmoil in 1967.
Jailed democracy activist Joshua Wong returned to court on Tuesday, where he was sentenced to an additional four months in prison after pleading guilty to joining an “illegal gang” during the 2019 protest movement , as well as violating anti-mask laws by Lam to prevent protesters from hiding their identities on security camera footage.
Veteran pro-democracy campaigner Koo Sze-yiu – who has stage 4 cancer – was also jailed for five months, after being found guilty of participating in “illegal meetings” at trial. .
In mainland China, the textbooks were rewritten to erase the historical version of the former Kuomintang regime, while students were asked to memorize the version of the CCP, he said.
“We think this is brainwashing,” said Tam. “If you look at what happened in Macau, they actually started brainwashing students after the 1967 clash, which is why people in Macau are relatively docile and not much. [protests] took place.”
School textbooks are voluntarily submitted by educational publishers to the education department for review.
Meanwhile, unidentified men holding sledgehammers broke into the Hong Kong printing house of a newspaper run by the spiritual movement Falun Gong, which Beijing considers “an evil cult,” the newspaper said. news on their website.
“Four intruders broke into Hong Kong’s printing factory Epoch Times At the beginning of the hour of April 12, damaging computers and printing equipment, “the newspaper reported, also arguing that the CCP was behind the attack.
CCTV screenshots show intruders dressed in black using sledgehammers to damage printing equipment at the facility, according to the report.
Cheryl Ng, a spokesperson for the newspaper’s Hong Kong edition, said the attack was marked by a CCP-backed attack and was intended to “prevent an independent agency from reporting on topics. taboo against the “communist regime”. the newspaper said.
“These thugs move very quickly, break into and destroy machines, then leave within two minutes,” Ng said.
Attacks are the latest in a series of attacks on Epoch Times property in Hong Kong, culminating in the November 2019 arson attack by black-clad attackers seemingly trying to mimic the looks of pro-democracy protesters.
Reports by Fong Tak Ho, Poon Ka Ching, Leung Kiu Fok and Malik Wang for RFA Cantonese Service. Translated and edited by Luisetta Mudie.