KATE GARRAWAY’s husband Derek Draper contracted coronavirus a year ago in March 2020, leaving him seriously ill.
🔵 Read our blog coronavirus live for the latest news and updates…
What’s the latest on Kate Garraway’s husband Derek Draper?
On April 9, it was revealed that Derek had returned to his family home in North London.
Derek has now had all of his breathing machines and equipment removed – but his family is under control that still faces a “long and tiring” battle for complete health.
Kate has spent thousands of dollars remodeling their house for his return, and Derek will need 24-hour care as he fights back to normal.
A friend said: “The medical professional teams taking care of Derek have decided to release him from the hospital to receive 24-hour care at home.
“They found that his awareness and consciousness have stalled and, if any, have been regressing over the past few months.”
On March 23, 2021, Kate Garraway’s documentary Find Derek aired on ITV.
In the movie, Kate shed tears when Derek said for the first time after a coma.
In the heartbreaking scene, Good morning England How the host revealed how it felt to see such progress after 214 days of hospitalization.
Kate shared a video of her husband during a detox session and captured the extraordinary moment.
When the doctor asked if the movement was okay, he said: “Pain”.
Speaking of moments later, Kate said: “So it was the first time I saw him say a word and he had a sore mouth, I saw it really clear and I said ‘hurt, pain’.
Unable to hold back the tears, the mother of two said, “I cry because it was a huge breakthrough – in fact his brain can communicate with his mouth to shape the word pain.”
Timeline of battle with Derek Draper’s coronavirus
- March 30: Derek rushes to hospital after test positive for Coronavirus.
- Mid-April: Derek is admitted to the intensive care unit four days later. He was in a coma when condition deteriorated.
- May 1: Kate shares that Derek still did not respond.
- May 28: GMB host says Derek is Still in a coma and in the care of the NHS, but she still has hope.
- May 31: Kate revealed she was forced to find new ways to keep her kids strong because Derek is still criticizing.
- June 2: Kate is urged to “have hope” as fans post her sublimated stories.
- June 5: Kate appeared emotionally on GMB tell viewers that her husband is “very sick” but “Animate for free“, and they are not sure if” he will recover “.
- June 6: Kate tells The Sun that Derek can go into a permanent coma after the coronavirus “hits everything”.
- June 7: Kate also revealed to The Sun that she is His son Billy, 10 years old, slept next to his father’s empty bed while he was in a coronavirus coma.
- June 14: Piers Morgan writes in his Daily Mail column that Kate doesn’t know when Derek will come home.
- July 5: Kate reveals that Derek awoke from his coma and eyes open now.
- July 8: Kate continued on to GMB to talk about Derek’s coma out of her coma but how it is “a miracle that he is still alive”.
- July 13: Kate returns to GMB.
- July 14: Kate reveals she will visit Derek in the hospital.
- July 19: Kate reveals her pain at Derek missed their son’s birthday.
- July 21: Kate revealed that her husband had heard her voice when the nurse put the CPC for him. She also revealed that She will visit him for the second time.
- July 22: Kate’s Global radio colleague Roman Kemp revealed that her children are going through a “hard time”.
- July 27: On GMB, Kate reveals that she’s “at her limit”. after an automobile tire explosion on the highway. The terrible blast occurred while Kate was driving back to the hospital to visit Derek after taking their children on a trip in Kent.
- July 28: Kate revealed Derek is stable but not improvedBut she visited him in the hospital the day before even though her car was blown up.
- July 29: Kate’s Good Morning Britain colleague Alex Beresford said he used to “amazed” at her resilience.
- August 3: Kate revealed Jeremy Kyle helped bring her two children, Billy and Darcey, to stay with sick Derek’s parents..
- August 4: Kate reveals how She wants to donate her blood to save Derek.
- August 10: Kate reveals how She really wants Derek to wake up.
- August 11: Kate says she will donating plasma “liquid gold” though it is too late for it to affect Derek as he is no longer fighting the coronavirus.
- August 13: Kate wished Derek husband “good morning” when she told the GMB viewer that he would be watching in the hospital.
- August 17: Kate missed her spot on Good Morning Britain – even though she was scheduled to have a day off.
- August 19: Kate returned to GMB after taking a few days off. – she revealed She tried to hold back her tears on a “challenging” day when she had to break up with Derek on his 53rd birthday..
- August 20: Kate revealed she was “abused” by “laughing and joking” on Good Morning Britain while Derek is still receiving special care.
- September 10: Kate revealed it was a “tough day”. because it was their 15th wedding anniversary and she couldn’t visit Derek.
- September 11: Kate revealed that Derek is still unable to speak But she will visit him in the hospital to celebrate their 15th wedding anniversary.
- September 25: Kate reveals it was “tough week” for Derek.
- September 28: Kate’s ITV breakfast colleague Lorraine Kelly rips off Covid protesters saying they need to see Kate’s “hell”.
- September 29: How it was revealed Derek’s six-month battle of Covid is currently the longest in England.
- October 1: Kate said she wanted to show Derek’s photo to those who broke Covid’s law and warn “you don’t want this in your life”.
- October 30: Derek uttered the first word – “painful” after 214 days of hospitalization.
- November 20: Kate says she feels “sick” about Christmas alone without Derek.
- December 7: Kate thinks about her “missed moments“of the year 2020 when her husband continues to fight coronavirus in the hospital
- December 17: Kate tried to hold back tears as she thanked the nurses for ‘saving Derek’s husband’ for the first time.
- January 7, 2021: Kate revealed that her children had seen her ailing husband Derek for the first time as of March 2020 through Christmas, but lockout means don’t see him again.
- February 11, 2021: Kate returns to GMB and reveal her heartbreaking after not being able to meet Derek since Christmas and says “there is no end in sight”.
- February 26, 2021: Dr. Hilary revealed he supported Kate.
- March 20, 2021: Kate said her husband Derek’s brain “is no longer his friend”.
- March 23, 2021: Kate’s Documentary Finding Derek is aired and revealed heartbreaking moment when her husband woke up from his coma.
- April 8, 2021: Derek is about to return home where he will continue to be cared for around the clock.
- April 9, 2021: Derek has finally returned to his family home in North London after more than a year in hospital.
Kate Garraway’s husband, Derek, turned off all the machines and the kids at dad’s house were ‘nervous’
Piers tweeted: “This broke my heart. Fewer people are happier, more active @kategarraway. Or a more loyal, kind friend & colleague.
“A lot of families like her go through so much unthinkable suffering in this crisis. Send all my love to Kate and continue to stick with Derek.”
She thanked everyone for their ceaseless support and wished other families experience similar difficulties with her best wishes.